Monday, September 8, 2008

Where should money go?


I’m pretty sure that everyone is aware of gas prices and how outrageous they became this past summer, but what is in store for America and the world in the future? Are we going to settle with ethanol the quick fix? Some call it an ineffective band-aid not the “Answer”?
The way I see it is that while yes it does burn much cleaner an effective, it can’t really be this good? Everyone always praises Ethanol but what are the negatives? Making ethanol means less corn entering the market which in turn could raise the prices of corn for us! That doesn’t seem bad if you don’t eat a lot of corn, but think of all the products with corn syrup. When you use more corn to create more ethanol, then that possibly creates a lower supply and higher demand in the market so the price of corn may go up. Could this eventually lead to higher food prices? I’m not an expert and by no means am I trying to be, I’m just wondering about the negative effects of Ethanol. Something so good, can it really be true? Nothing is ever as good as it seems.
What about the farmers! Say ethanol producers are paying top dollar for barrels of corn; don’t you think farmers are going to just make corn? Not only will farmers just make corn but they will just sell barrels to these companies! What can we do to solve these simple yet very very important? I am just wondering why if I can think of these questions and I don’t even have a degree relating to the topic, then who is solving these problems before they can happen.
Should we try our luck on other sources of powering our motor vehicles? Whatever we do, we need to try to get away from gasoline because it’s having a negative effect in the world we live in. Ethanol seems to be the quickest way to please Americans, but is it just the immediate answer or a permanent solution!

1 comment:

ecnal said...

I agree one hundred percent. Ethanol is not an answer. Why would I want to drop the price of gas by one dollar so that the price of every piece of food I buy goes up five cents? It’s going to cost me so much more to eat than I save on gas. Also, did you know that ethanol is not as fuel efficient as gasoline. After using so many gallons of ethanol you would break even with the amount of gasoline you would have used. We should use natural gas instead of ethanol. Yes, there is still a loss in efficiency. We can get over that as prices would drop, cars would need fewer modifications to run off it, and it won’t cause an increase in food prices like ethanol.