Thursday, September 25, 2008

no more blind spots!


Today’s cars are being equipped with all kinds of safety devices. Automotive industries are in a chess game one upping each other while trying to win over families with the newest ways of safety and comfort. This past summer I was a valet at the airport. While it was fun to drive all the fancy cars, the coolest thing I saw was a review camera.

Cars are now being installed with cameras underneath the license plate. It’s a nifty little item that lets you see directly behind you. The camera turns on when you put your car in reverse. I loved it because it showed me all of the blind spots behind the car I couldn’t see. The image appears on a screen normally in the dash so I’m sorry to tell you if you don’t have a new car this technology probably isn’t available to you.

I was even more surprised, after I put the car in reverse and the picture came up, when I turned the wheel. As I began to turn it, lines appeared on the screen showing me exactly when I would end up. I was so excited, it was hilarious. It gave me the perfect parking spot every time. For those of you who are annoyed with crocked parking, like me, you’re probably as happy as I am. I loved it. Backing into a parking spot is now the funniest this for me. It really made me want to drive around backwards driving by just simply glancing at the screen.

If that is not mind boggling enough for you, it gets better. Some cars have the picture from the camera in the actually mirror. So you can see everything behind you with the mirror, plus all of the little blind spots. Can you imagine how many kids’ lives can be saved? All of the parents that are scared that they may accidently run over their child now can breathe again. No longer will bikes be ran over or toys destroyed. This is a revolutionary product that brings intelligence and safety to all vehicles that are blessed to be equipped with the rear view camera!


1 comment:

Jethro said...

I've been a valet parker since I got my license three years ago, and I really enjoy all the gadgets that come in the newer cars. The rear-view camera is one of my favorites because it's kind of difficult to back out of a curved driveway at a clients house at night in the middle of nowhere when its pitch black. It comes in handy, but can spoil someone really easily. I actually drove a whole block backwards in one of these cars just to test how great the camera was. The rear-view camera was also strongly needed for the bad drivers of all ages. Good topic of choice.