Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Silence?!


I don’t know about you but I think silence is excruciatingly boring. There’s nothing worse than driving with a broken radio, let alone not even having one at all. I don’t even like to talk about the time my radio was broken. It was very depressing. The worst part was driving to high school in complete and utter silence. A hundred years ago, this poor world drove around with nothing but the sound of a roaring engine like me. And the worst part for them, not knowing what they were missing out on.
The car radio came about by a young man in high school in 1922. He put it on the door of his Ford Model T, but this wasn’t like a real “car” radio it was the ghetto version. It wasn’t until 1933 when cars, specifically 100,000, got fitted with a small radio. This commercially produced radio was called Philco Transitone, and was created by a battery company.
The radio all started with one idea of being able to transmit sound wave but has since evolved into a mainstream of hundreds of thousands of radio stations worldwide. To me there’s nothing like having the freedoms and pleasures of being able to pick what the stations I like while driving along on an open highway. The only trouble I have is picking one that is good for that occasion. I’ll listen to some punk when I feel tired, for some reason it just gets the blood flowing. But really prefer country or rap. Like I said it just depends on the occasion/mood. But all in all, I’m just thankful for my car radio.

3 comments:

AJ said...

I totally agree. I don't know how people can ever drive without the radio on. My dad used to never turn on the radio in his truck. He said it was more soothing to just drive and not listen to the radio, but I would always tell him that it was just more boring! About a year ago I bought a new, fancy, expensive CD player for my car and I love it! I also bought new speakers and sub woofers for my car as well. So now whenever my dad is with me or he is outside when I come home, I turn up the music real loud to make sure he can hear it! But I seriously have no clue how people can go anywhere in "silence".

Allison said...

You did a great job on integrating your own experiences into an entry that's essentially about the past. Way to go.

ecnal said...

I relate to this story completely. When I had my first car, I only had a cassette player and FM radio that worked and even then rather poorly. So, I went out and bought a new system. For about a month I was in heaven. Then, I blew a fuse not only in the car but on the back of the radio thus, I could not fix it myself. I had a one hundred fifty dollar radio/CD player but drove in silence for two weeks before I could fix it. They were the worst two weeks of driving ever. Silence is the worst thing to ever happen to a modern car.